A Coffee with Soo Burnell from SOOuK + giveaway
We all meet people and artists who we instantly fall in love with - and Susan who is a designer and a print makes is one those those people whos art speaks to me. I am lucky enough to own one the SOOuk prints "Nothing to see here " - that takes pride place in my kitchen - and its self explanatory when i fail at cooking or in general at life ;)
Soo own scandi style reflects in her amazing art and accessories collection that can be purchased in her store. Prints might be scandi inspired but let me assure you those beauties will fit well in any home - From prints that give you a sense of peace ,to beautifully finished cushions that will compliment your home - Soo have got you covered ,
Here at Style squeeze we are a nosey bunch - so we grilled Susan to find a little bit more about her and her company - over to you darling x
1. Can you tell our readers about yourself and your brand ?
I am a Scottish based photographer and designer, making nordic inspired Art Prints and other design led home accessories .
2 .What piece are you most proud of , or one that has a significance to you
I fall in love (and out of love) with all of my work. The Icelandic pieces are very special, it is such a cool place. I absolutely love it there. Some of the typographical work has significance on a personal level as some those pieces were written for or about special people in my life. If I had to choose one piece right now… Black Beach for photography and “Wish You Were Here” for typographical.
3. Can you tell me some of your strengths that really helped you in your design journey ?
My background is in photography, I studied it here in Edinburgh for 4 years. I have worked for many uk based interior publications over the last 10 years before launching SOOuK. In terms of design I really like to work alone and always have ideas floating around my head or sketches in notebooks for inspiration, but in terms of business my mentor has massively helped in gaining confidence to put my self out there. I am part of a small women in business group (The southwood social hub) and the support from those other women is Phenomenal.
4. What would be your tips for anyone thinking of starting their own business in design
Have a plan and be prepared to deviate from it, not worry about what others think and stay focused on what you are trying to achieve. There are a lot of highs and lows of being self employed.
5. Can you tell me about your greatest high in your career ?
At the start of the year I aimed to have my work stocked in one of my favourite shops and I am chuffed to bis to of achieved that and several other favourites along the way too.
6 .What was your greatest failure and what did you learn from that?
So many…. and sometimes at great cost too! not being clear enough with suppliers. To take my time and not feel rushed in to making decisions.
7 . Who has impacted you most in your design journey and how?
7 . Who has impacted you most in your design journey and how?
I am massively inspired by other artists, architects, photographers, designers most creatives really! I love meeting other makers and hearing their passion for what they are doing. It drives me forward.
8. Who is your design or style icon
So many…. id like to be as talented as Julius Shulman and look like the beautiful Audrey Tautou
9 What do you think has been your brands super power?
I am my brand so I guess thats me!
10 Were you artistic as a child?
Absolutely! I loved being creative as a child. I bought my first darkroom at 13 years old with some money my late Grandfather left me. From that moment on I never wanted o be anything else.
11. Since Style Squeeze is all about small spaces - how would you squeeze most of small square footage (your tips suggestions )
I LOVE small spaces I find them so much more interesting than huge ones. It would be a dream to build a tiny wood cabin one day. I would have a place for everything so that there is never any clutter. I also think its nice to surround your self with the treasure that you really love rather than tonnes of things you don’t need!
12 .What do you do in your spare time?
Most of my spare time is taken up with my two boy’s but a perfect day out would be coffee in Edinburgh at Artisan Roast with my husband and a walk on the beach at Elie, I love to be outside. Traveling is also a huge passion.
13 Do you put limitations on the work in terms of brave and bold or is there no fucks given?
Brave is the New Black don’t you know? :) Ive never really considered this so I guess no limitations. I have ideas going round my head all the time! I keep a book and draw ideas in it and jot words down. I am always thinking about new projects.
Quick fire questions
14 - design or functionality - both!
15 What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done? - I don’t know. I do stupid stuff on a daily basis.
16. Which bad habits of other people drive you crazy? - Almost everything!!
17. favourite dinosaur ;) - Diplodocus looks quite friendly?
18. What was the worst job you have ever had - I did a paper round once when I was 10. I delivered all of the papers to the wrong houses and got asked not to come back.
19 . would you rather Kiss a jellyfish or step on a crab? mmh… not sure I could step on a crab so I will have to say the Jelly fish :|
20. Got any hidden talents ? ( what are they) if I have Ive not found them yet!
21. coffee or tea? definitely Coffee
22. What is the one thing, you can’t live without? my camera (and obviously my kids!)
23. In " Alternative universe if you could be any piece of furniture what would you be ? something by Hans Wenger
24. What was your worst decor faux -pass - my bathroom floor tiles. I hate them and I have hated them since I put them down. Tiles are so annoying to lift up and change, but its got to be done.
25 .who would be your ideal client to work with - Terrance Conran this list could go on!
Now -the fun part !
You can win your own print choice from lovely SOOuk - to be in the chance of winning please
my latest Instagram post and in comments tag as many friends as you can
- follow SOOuk on instagram
competition will run till Sunday 10th of December and the winner will be picked at random and announced on my stories on Monday- Good luck everyone
To see a whole range and purchase the products please visit https://www.soo-uk.com/