Coffee with Gayle Mansfield designs + giveaway
Hi Guys - Hope you are are successfully got back into school runs, and are not running like a headless chickens and pretending everything is ok ? Please remember that its OK not to be OK
Today i wanted to introduce you to a very talented lady - Gayle Mansfield - from Gayle Mansfield designs - This lady got some kick ass prints - bold , funny and all around Amazeballs This minimal typography prints - are sure to brighten up your day xx
My favorite chop chop print is sitting on the other side of the kitchen where i prepare meals - but since that area is pretty much covered in tools ( dont ask ) i thought i do a little swap and show this beauty off
As you know by now i am naturally nosy -(should i even say that ?) anyway - i caught up with this lovely lady and grilled her ( i mean asked questions) so we ca all find out a little more about this fab lady so here we go - over to you Gayle x
1.Can you tell our readers about yourself and your brand ?
I’m Gayle, and I set up Gayle Mansfield Designs in 2016. I had quit my role as a project manager in the public sector a couple of years previously, to spend time with my young daughter, renovate our home and assist my partner with his design business. Over this period I decided that I wanted to work flexibly, and for myself, and as I am extremely passionate about design and interiors, I knew I wanted to work in this field. I kept having ideas for wall art so decided to set up a website and the rest is history! Our brand is all about simplicity, and is a little tongue in cheek. It is no secret that I am interiors obsessed so as the brand evolves, my vision is to incorporate interior styling.
2Whatpiece are you most proudof , or one that has a signiﬁcancetoyou ?
Hell yes will alwayshold a special place in my heart as it was the ﬁrst idea I had, and I like that it’s a British take on anAmerican phrase. Blah blah blah is very aesthetically pleasing to me, I lovethe font and the pale grey framing.
3. Can you tell me some of your strengths that really helped you in your design journey ?
I think thats it’s important to always be kind in business and in life actually, so I do try to abide by this. I am also told that I am very good at building rapport, which has definitely helped me. I have accepted that it is impossible to do everything on my own so if I need help, I ask for it. Finally, I don’t really overthink a design too much and have learnt to put perfectionism behind me as all it does is paralyses me.
4. What would be your tips for anyone thinking of starting their own business in design?
Don't expect that success will come overnight. Sometimes the market can feel saturated but stick to your values and persevere. Be prepared for it to take over your entire life if you don't set yourself boundaries. Keep talking to people and putting yourself out there, as opportunities don't just come to you, you have to be brave.
5. Can you tell me about your greatest high in your career ?
Having our home featured in House Beautiful magazine ranks pretty highly, and our prints being seen on Apartment Therapy’s instagram and in Sunday Times Home magazine was very exciting. As I am still in the very early stages (I've only been in business for a year) I would say having increasing sales, interest and exposure is a real achievement.
6 .What was your greatest failure and what did you learn from that?
I just wish I’d started ages ago! I spent too many years doubting myself and finding excuses not to pursue a creative career.
7 . Who has impacted you most in your design journey and how?
My partner without a doubt. He has given me so much of his time/expertise/knowledge and has always encouraged me.
8. Who is your design or style icon.?
I admire the work of the designers behind Tom Pigeon, and Anthony Burrill. Theres loads of others too, I am constantly inspired.
10Were you artistic as a child ?
Yes. I was always doodling, making things, and rearranging my bedroom!
11. Since Style Squeeze is all about small spaces - how would you squeeze most of small square footage ?
Have high shelving, multi functional furniture(i.e. a cabin bed) , use backs of doors for storage. Make the most of the walls with hooks etc. Keep colour palette minimal so its not too fussy, and keep clutter to a minimum.
12 .What do you do in your spare time?
Run, swim, eat out, go to comedy nights, go to the beach, faff about with furniture, stand in rooms in my house with a vacant expression whilst I dream up the next project.
13 Do you put limitations on the work in terms of brave and bold or is there no fucks given?
Deﬁnitely no fucks given! I’m too old now to care and so far, the prints of mine that are alittle more risqué are among the bestsellers!
quick fire questions :
14 - design or functionality. design
15 What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done? Walked back from a bar in the middle of nowhere in new Zealand alone, after a lot of alcohol, with no idea of how to get back to where I was staying.
16. Which bad habitsofother peopledrive you crazy? Talking with their mouth full, being talked at, not saying thankyou. I don't have much tolerance these days!
17. favourite dinosaur -Erm, velociraptor?!
18. What was the worst job you have ever had? Picking courgettes on a rural Australian farm.Back breaking work!
19would you rather Kiss ajellyﬁsh or step on a crab? Step on a crab forsure!
20. Gotany hidden talents? - I can sing.
21. coﬀee ortea? Tea always. Strong, too.
22. What is the one thing you can’t livewithout? I hate tosay it but my phone? Oh and some mascara/concealer.
23. In anAlternative universe ifyoucould be any pieceof furniture what would you be? Well I love bed so abed?!
24. What wasyour worst decor faux -pass? installingdownlighters everywhere, and in bad positions! Really expensive and they give oﬀ a horrible light. Never again! Never even turn them on!
25 .who wouldbe your ideal client to work with? As alifelongfan, I would have to say IKEA.
now -the fun part !
As all of you have different tastes - Gayle offered you a choice of one of her amazing prints ! to be in the chance of winning please
- see my latest Instagram post and in comments tag as many friends as you can
- follow Gayle Mansfield Designs
- follow me
- follow JT
- follow Nickie
competition will run till Sunday 10thof September and winner will be picked at random and announced on Monday- Good luck everyone
- This post and a giveaway was made in collaboration with Gayle Mansfield designs hank you so much for allowing us to run this giveaway
Giveaway is now closed - winner @vic_at_number_46
Check Gayle Instagram here
To find out more and purchase amazing products please visit https://www.gaylemansfield.co.uk/