DIY /IKEA HACK - TARVA UPCYCLE

DIY/ IKEA HACK -TARVA UPCYCLE

I love a good ikea hack and when i saw what Carla have done with standard ikea Tarva chest of drawers my jaw have hit the floor - the whole unit went from standard to cool , whats more Carla have agreed to share how to transform a standard chest of drawers - so over to you Carla

IKEA TARVA HACK / UPCYCLE

Hi everyone, it's Carla here from Clarity Whispers.

If you follow me on Instagram you may have noticed that I'm a big fan of IKEA furniture and have been known to upstyle or create an IKEA hack or two when the mood takes me.
My most recent upstyle was this Tarva 3 drawer chest that I bought last year. It's fits nicely into an empty corner of our dining area. At the time when I put it together I gave it a light rub with a walnut wood stain to darken it. I knew I wanted to do something more with it but I wasn't quite sure what.When Pati shared a picture of her beautiful Aztec table on Instagram it gave me the inspiration to attempt something similar on the Tarva unit. I wasn't sure what exactly I was going to do but I looked to see what materials I already had at home. The best thing about this project is that it didn't cost me anything!

Materials I used:

  • Whitewash paint (1 part white emulsion to 2 parts water) I had a small tester pot.

  • Chalk paint - I used Rustoleum Chalk paint in "Graphite"

  • Frog tape

  • For the knobs I used Rustoleum multi purpose paint in Metallic bronze.

  • unit previously stained using ronseal wood stain in Walnut.

IMG_20190609_183958_949.jpg

Step 1.

Before I started I gave the unit a quick sand and wipe down with a damp cloth.

At this stage I wasn't really sure what design I was going for so I just winged it to be honest!

IMG_20190609_183958_958.jpg

Step 2.

White washing the drawers. I went for different widths with the frog tape on each drawer.I applied the wash with a brush and then very lightly rubbed it with a damp cloth in long strokes. It took two coats but it tried quickly.

IMG_20190609_183826_601.jpg

Step 3.

Next up was the design for the chalk paint.

I placed the drawers back into the unit.

I started in the top left corner of the unit placing the tape at an angle. I replicated the angle on the right hand side.

I tried to keep the angles and widths the same for each length of tape.

I didn't measure the thickness I just used my eye but you can always measure if you have more patience then me!
I repeated this step on the bottom left and right.

Step 4

As I got closer to the centre I created a diamond shape. It was a little trickier as I had to keep trimming the tape to get it to match up in each corner of the diamond.

IMG_20190609_183826_610.jpg

Step 4

As I got closer to the centre I created a diamond shape. It was a little trickier as I had to keep trimming the tape to get it to match up in each corner of the diamond.

Step 5.

Once I was happy with the design, I painted each section of the drawers. I also painted the top and legs and left the side unpainted.

(TIP: Only use a little amount of paint on your brush each time and watch out for drips or build up between the gaps in the drawers)

Step 6.
For the knobs  I used Rustoleum's Multi Purpose Paint in "Metallic bronze" using a small artist paint brush.

Result!

This project only took a couple of hours to do on a Sunday afternoon  and I'm loving the change up! A funky addition to our dining area and I enjoyed doing it.

Hope you like it too!


Thanks so much Pati for inviting me to be a guest on your wonderful blog. I'm very grateful to be here.

Lots of love,

Carla x
Please check Carla instagram and her other amazing DIY projects here